Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Show Weekend

First of all, I thank all of you parents for keeping up with your child's rehearsal schedule and allowing them to be a part of the show.  This show would not be a success without all that you do, as well as all the care and support you provide your children.  Students -- you rock!  You have pulled together your time and talent to put on a great 80s show that makes everyone want to get up and dance!  The 80s are just so rad, aren't they?!

Please keep up your energy and enthusiasm and enjoy the ride!  This may be the last time you perform on the WMS stage, so soak it up.  Savor those stage lights and time on stage!  If you are enjoying yourself up there, I guarantee the audience will catch on!

Just to let all of you know - as I will be making an announcement tomorrow - I will not be able to make it to the Friday & Saturday performances.  I have not shared this with everyone until now, only because I did not want the attention to be on me nor distract you from your task at hand -- as this show is all about you and your awesome talent.  It has been my job to allow you opportunities to shine.  Mike Overbey and I have known about this for awhile, as these dates are arranged months and months in advance.  We did our best to move the variety show around, but due to OAA testing, as well as trying not to disturb the school calendar too much, we decided to leave the dates as is to let it be best for all the students involved.  With that said, my job as a director is done.  All of you students have listened to all the direction and guidance I have given.  Now, I pass on my director's hat to be that of an audience member.  It's your job to go out there and give the audience the best show that you can give!  Not only is it my job to prepare you as a student, it is also my responsibility to prepare you for future fine art endeavors.  In your endeavors, you will learn that once the show opens, it lies with your stage manager.  It is he who calls cues, makes sure that all actors make it on stage, and are ready to perform.  Our performances at WMS are no exception.  Of course, as the director, I always love being there to watch all of you perform, but the show now lies with the stage manager.  Please respect him as you do me.  We have an awesome tech crew, and I have been working with the stage manager to relay all my expectations before auditions even began to prepare us for this moment.  Please listen to Alexander and your tech crew team.  They are there to help you.

Students - in case you need something and/or something happens, you are to tell your tech crew who will relay the message to Alexander.  We do have two faculty members who will be present on the weekend:  Nick Allen will be there Friday night, and Brian Potts will be there Saturday night.  They will give you the support you need; however, their job is watch you shine on stage!  They are there just in case something happens.  We also have administration in the audience each night.  Parents -- if you need guidance, please check the Sign Up Genius for your roles before coming to the theater.  Amy Elliott is a great resource for all parent volunteers.  Lisa Nocks has been helping with the tech crew side of things and is a great resource to ask for tech questions -- but please first approach the Stage Manager, as the show is in his hands.  Maddie Henke is going to be my encouraging voice, as she will be giving a pep talk in the green room each night to get everyone psyched and ready to perform!  We are a team, and you can do this!  I will be cheering you on as an audience member opening night, and please know that I would have loved to be there this weekend.  I will be giving you the support you need from distant sidelines!

Go get 'em and SHINE BRIGHT -
Miss Cindy