Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hello from your new WMS director!

THOUGHT WYOMING MIDDLE SCHOOL'S SHOW WAS CANCELLED, CLOSED, OR MOVED OUT OF TOWN?!  

NO WAY!  We're on to "Another Openin', Another Show..."

LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU:
It is my pleasure to introduce myself to you.  My name is Cindy Wilmes, and I am the new WMS drama director for the upcoming school year.  I graduated from Northern Kentucky University with my Bachelor of Arts in Middle School Education.  I have also been heavily involved with theater in the Cincinnati area for the past ten years, including several directorial roles and award-winning performances.  I am a performer myself, as I enjoy singing, dancing, and acting my way through life.  I have had several opportunities to work specifically with children's theater, and I enjoy combining my love for theater with my passion for teaching children.  I am excited for this year's upcoming season, and I am thrilled to work with your students.  Please check out my  resumes online, as I welcome you to know a little bit more about me before we dive into the school year together.

HALLOWEEN WEEKEND.  HAUNTED MANSION.  HILARIOUSLY FUNNY:  ANNOUNCING OUR FALL PLAY!
I am also very excited to announce our fall play, The Canterville Ghost.  WMS actually has schedule show dates for Halloween weekend -- only a few weeks away!  We are going to do our absolute best to stick to these show dates; however, there are alternate dates available if it becomes absolutely necessary to add a few additional weeks due to our late start.  I am aiming for our October dates, and I am hoping that my enthusiasm and energy will be contagious to the kids!  I really believe we can pull this off beautifully while having a fantastic time!  

AUDITIONS:  WE NEED YOU!
Auditions will be this Friday, September 24th from 4:00 - 6:00 in the WMS Theater.  Callbacks will be on Monday September 27th from 4:30 - 6:00.  There are a few things I need your child to prepare for auditions:
*prepare a 1-2 minute monologue
*provide a recent picture
*fill out an Audition form (available online -- we'll get to that in a minute)
*bring a theater resume, if available

COOL ENOUGH TO HAVE A BLOG:
All the information you need to know about auditions, the show itself, or even the show dates is located online at:  http:\\wmstheater.blogspot.com

You'll also find:
-rehearsal calendar
-cast of characters with descriptions
-audition form
-audition tips & tricks
-example of a theater resume
-audition flyer to spread the word

Since I am the director and will be casting the show, it is pretty important for you student to look at all of these documents BEFORE coming to auditions.  If your child wants to do well, it is crucial for him to do his homework with the resources I have provided.  I will be casting for 20 roles + stage ninjas (our backstage crew).  The fall play cast is always a bit smaller than our musicals - please keep that in mind.


NEVER HEARD OF THE CANTERVILLE GHOST?  Check this out:
SYNOPSIS:  Based on the short story by Oscar Wilde, an average American family acquires a historic old Canterville Mansion - complete with a ghost! Sir Simon, the sporting spirit, succeeds in making life miserable, but the American family strikes back. Pam and Wendy, daughters of the new owners, attack the poor ghost with cans of hair spray and deodorant! The family takes drastic measures and calls in a psychic (who is anything but psychic) and turns the situation into a hilarious mess.  Sir Simon feels this is hardly fair, so he enlists the aid of some friends – Martin the Maniac, Hester the Horrid, Lady Joan the Graveless, the Vampire Duchess, and other things that go bump in the night. Life is hectic and fantastically funny around the Canterville Mansion until the real solution to the problem of the galloping ghost is discovered.  This show is family-friendly and appropriate for all ages.

Don't forget to check us out online!

See you Friday!
Miss Cindy Wilmes